This is an archive of You're a dad statuses. It's mostly for myself, but feel free to read it if you want a glimpse into the process of making a game for the first time.
July 2023, a bit later than the previous entry
- It really worked. When I get up with the kid(s) I can usually cram some words in. They're not many, but they add up. I'm proud to say that I've completed the major tasks that the player has to do in the game and am ready to start writing the primary endings.
- As a result I updated the writing completion percentage from 70 to 80. Probably lying to myself a bit, but eh.
- I even built new (relatively minor) functionality into my editing tool. I can now see all endings and their groups in a nice way.
- I got my second child, Lily, in February. Amazing. Exhausting. I've not worked on the game since then.
- Today I took some time to write a bit more on the adventure. Small steps, but it was really nice. I'll try to find a rythm.
- I never have energy to do it during evenings. I mostly crash into bed somewhere between 21:00-23:00.
- But during mornings I usually get up fairly early with the kids.
- When they're occupied I can probably write a scene or two. I'll try that going forward.
- The commit messages are really fun. Instead of the enterprisey "Fixed bug X, refactored function Y to achieve business value Z" I do at work I write "You can now buy potatoes". It makes me smile.
Early January 2023
- I've been working on the game for about a year. Work on it slowed down considerably the latter half of 2022 due to life. We're pregnant and I've started a new job. Awesome stuff! But energy consuming! That's okay and expected.
- This is the first time these pages are published, forcing me to communicate what I'm doing.
- The game is working, with several endings in place. I'm focusing on completing the script for it, so that I can start having language minded folks proofread it.
- I work on You're a dad once a month or so, depending on life.