These pointers were kindly contributed by my dear friends Lotta Johansson, Gudrun Brunnström and Andreas Olsson after making their first event documentation.
- Make sure you've got all relevant background information on the event.
- Meet those in charge - they know the event. Let them give you tips and recommendations from their point of view.
- Plan who and what you want to catch on tape - but be open to possibilities.
- Create a detailed storyboard to plan camera movements and viewpoints.
- Test all of your equipment beforehand.
- Prepare for the unexpected (e.g. bad weather)
- If possible, bring two cameras for extra viewpoints, and extra batteries.
- Know the limitations of your camera. How does it fare in conditions with bad lighting?
- Mind background noise, they're louder on tape than in reality.
And don't forget - bring proper amounts of food, good clothes and a patient temper.